The common step in the computer troubleshooting in the case is using the OS disk, which was received with the computer, or any other boot up disk available on the market. One of the most popular legally-free boot disks is the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD). This software collection has just about everything needed to diagnose hard to find low level problems, and also some other tools that every PC technician should have available. Ultimate Boot CD includes memory checkers, CPU stress testers, system information tools, boot managers and tools for hard drives, partitions, password resets, and more. For a full list of capabilities you can check out the UBCD developers’ page.
As all other boot up CD’s, utility is offered as CD image in ISO format that is used for bootable disk preparation. However, it would be much easier to carry it around if it would convert the regular USB external drive into bootable disk with all goodies on it. The directions on how to make your USB drive bootable through UBCD, were developed by pendrivelinux:
- Download the Ultimate Boot CD ISO file and place it into its own directory.
- Download the UBCDfix.exe file and run it, extracting into the above folder.
- From this folder click fixubcd.bat and follow the instructions.
- Move the contents of the /dir/USBUBCD folder to your USB drive.
- From your USB drive, run makeboot.bat to make it bootable.