Digital photo editor became a must software piece on every computer. Therefore, choosing a high-quality freeware to perform the task is really important.
Here is software which carries very high experts’ and users’ rating, while not being much in the general public spotlight.
PaintStar is versatile digital image processing software, suitable for such tasks as retouching of photographs, image morphing, composing and authoring images, screen capture, and displaying image thumbnail in Windows Explorer context menu. It supports alpha, layer, path, and the most common editing techniques. Paintstar has many of the tools and filters you would expect to find in similar commercial offerings and some interesting extras, which you may not find even in commercial programs, as well.
* Full suite of painting tools including paintbrush, pencil, eraser, airbrush, filter brush, color retouching, blur/sharpening, smudge, and cloning. Many customizable brushes, texture, gradient, and 26 methods of combining modes supported.
* Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear, perspective, flip, and wrap. Auto anti-alias supported.
* Image Morphing supported. With this technique, you can create a sequence of intermediate frames that seamlessly transform one image to another and generate output in a form of gif animation or image file sequence.
* Gradient Fill tools include linear, radial, square, conical (symmetric), conical (asymmetric) and shapeburst. Multiple colors supported.
* Selection tools including rectangular, elliptical, free, fuzzy and paths. Add, subtract, invert, anti-alias and feather selections supported.
* Zoom 10% - 2000% display, and show grid supported.
* More than 30 File formats supported include JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TGA, PCX, BMP and many others.
* Color conversion includes several different dithering methods and palette options.
* Alpha channel (transparency) supported.
* Displays Histograms (RGB, HSV, HSL, and CMYK).
* Displays EXIF information. EXIF 2.2 supported.
* TWAIN supported for scanners and digital cameras.
* Multiple Layers, 26 methods of combining modes supported.
* Multiple Paths supported. You can add, delete, insert point to the curve and adjust point in the curve just like vector drawing programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw.
* Multiple Undo and Redo supported. You can set up the number of Undo´s from 3 to 99.
* More than 100 Filters/Effects. Application of 3x3 filters supported.
* Screen capture supported. You can capture selected or fixed regions of the desktop, as well as active windows or individual controls (menus, dialogs etc.), which can be easily selected by an on-screen indicator which outlines the area to be captured.
* Displays thumbnail of selected image in Windows Explorer context menu just like ACD System Picaview.