It is not surprising that most of the modern computers do not came with Floppy Disk Drive, preinstalled on the machine at all. But still the Floppy icon as drive A: is visible in the configuration. I got request from one of the readers of this blog to explain how to remove it forever. My first reaction was to disable it in the BIOS. But do you really want to reboot your computer for that? I bet, some of the users even do not have a clue how to enter BIOS on their computers. (BTW, if you do need to enter BIOS for some reason, review my brief instruction with hot keys listed).
There are several ways to disable the Floppy Drive, which do not involve BIOS operations. Let’s take a look:
If you are comfortable with registry operation, there is a way to disable the Floppy Drive there.
- Start – Run – type regedit in the box.
- In the registry editor, navigate to the entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
- Now right click in right side pane and create DWORD Value. Call the new registry value as "NoDrives". Double click on "NoDrives" to enter a Decimal value. This value depends on the drives you wish to hide, and is created by adding the numbers for each drive you wish to hide from the list below. Click OK once you have entered this number.
Values for each drive per its letter:
A = 1
B = 2
C = 4
D = 8
E = 16
F = 32
- Therefore, if you want to hide just A: drive, you may enter 1. If you want to hide both A: and B: drives, you may enter value 3.
There are several ways to enter Device Manager on your computer:
1. Click Start > Run
- Type compmgmt.msc
- Choose Disk Management in the left column.
- Type devmgmt.msc
- Device Manager will be open.
- Select properties.
- In the hardware tab select 'Device Manager'.
Go to its sub entry which is named as Floppy disk drive.
With right click choose Properties service menu.
Next, you can go to Driver tab and select the Disable button.
System will ask for confirmation, click Yes. Then Click OK.
You see, there are multiple opportunities and ways to perform relatively simple task – removing your unneeded Floppy from Windows Explorer. And now it is up to you, which one you choose.